This was then one of the last recipes I photographed with my old point and shoot camera. At the time I thought the photos were lovely, but then before I got around to posting this lovely wee dessert I got a camera that took AMAZING photos and I just simply couldn't post the recipe anymore!
I made this cake again a few days ago, to make sure I had cake on my birthday. After all, what's a birthday without cake?!
250 g (8.8 oz) butter, softened
1 Cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 Cups plain flour
1/2 Cup cornflour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 410 g (14 oz) cans of strawberries, drained and chopped (about 250 g fresh would be perfect if they are in season!)
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a 23 cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time and add vanilla.
3. Fold in the flour, cornflour, and salt. Spread 2/3 of the mixture into the base of the prepared cake tin. Spread the chopped strawberries over top.
4. Sprinkle the remaining mixture over the top (I did it kind of like a crumble). Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown on top and set.
5. Cool in the tin. Dust with icing sugar prior to serving. Serve with cream, custard, or ice cream.