Saturday 25 January 2014

Apple Tart

I had some pastry left over from the Steak and Cheese Pie that I made for dinner on Sunday. I told my boyfriend I would make him a tart with it, and asked what he would like. He said he wanted an apple tart, so here we go!

You can use whatever sort of apple you like, but a sour apple like Granny Smith works well for baking. Also, if you have extra pastry you can very easily turn this into an apple pie by simply popping on a pastry lid.

Apple Tart

Serves 6

Short Crust or other sweet pastry
8 (approx) granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla bean paste
40 g butter, melted.

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Press the pastry into the base of a reasonably deep tart pan (I could only find my really shallow one so my tart ended up having to be very flat, so I need to repeat this for sure!). Blind bake the pastry if you need/want to.

2. In a large bowl, mix the apples, cinnamon, and sugar. Arrange the apples over the pastry base.

3. Stir the vanilla into the melted butter and pour over top of the apples. Sprinkle the top of the tart with sugar, if desired. This will give the finished tart a golden look, as well as adding sweetness.

4. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the apples are soft and golden. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment