Tuesday 14 June 2016

Orange Almond Syrup Cake

Orange and Almond are a wonderful match and together in a cake, perfection!



As far as cakes go, I've made them all! You could say I'm a little obsessed. But Orange and Almond Syrup Cake has got to be up there as one of my favorites. And considering there's no chocolate in sight in this cake (since my favorite everything else is chocolate), you know it's got to be good!


There is so much to love about this cake; it's SO quick and easy to prepare, it's incredibly moist, it's sweet without being too sweet, and it's perfect as is with no icing which means you can have a bigger slice, right?


 Before I let you guys in on this recipe I must firstly apologize for my absolute and complete lack of blog posts for the past two months! I started a new job in February and I absolutely LOVE it. It's so wonderful to have finally found my perfect job, but that has meant I've become pretty darn slack on the ol' blog posts as I've been completely absorbed in my work. I've promised myself to try a bit harder from now on to get through the whole big line of recipes I have waiting to go!


Orange and Almond Syrup Cake


Serves 8-12

2 large oranges, juice and rind
180 g butter, softened
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
3 eggs
2 1/2 cups ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup milk

Syrup

1 large orange, juice and rind
100 g caster sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease and line a 22 cm springform cake tin.

2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Beat in the orange juice and rind. 

3. Fold in the ground almonds, baking powder, and milk. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. 

4. While the cake is cooking, make the syrup but combining the orange juice, rind, and sugar together in a saucepan. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved and then simmer over a low heat until the mixture reaches a syrupy consistency. 

5. Poke small holes in the top of the still hot cake and pour over the syrup. Remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

6. Serve with whipped cream or creme fraiche. 

9 comments:

  1. So moist and I love the combination of flavors of orange and almond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I am a chocolate fan when it comes to cake, this time of year I really am mostly looking to bright citrus flavors. This sure sounds perfect for springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks super delicious so moist and flavorful! Love those citrus flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake looks divine and I love the combination of orange and almond:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful combination of flavors Nicole. So happy you are back in the kitchen and sharing your recipes with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of this orange almond syrup cake, Nicole. It looks incredibly moist and juicy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combination of orange and almond syrup in this lovely moist cake. Good Luck with your new job and thank you so much for sharing this delicious cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almond syrup with orange in a cake are like a match made in heaven! A must-try for sure Nicole! So happy to have you back...you have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this cake recipe. One of may favorites. Delcious.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete