Friday 6 December 2013

Lemon Yogurt Cake

As we go on holiday in a couple of weeks and then move house after we are back I want to try and use up lots of my baking stuff (and perishables before holiday!), don't think it would be too fun potentially getting flour all over everything trying to move it all. The motivation for this recipe was that I had a heap of lite Greek yogurt and eggs sitting in the fridge that need to be used up.


I loved how moist and light this cake turned out. Tasted great with strawberries and ice cream too! I think this would also work nicely as cupcakes with a lemon buttercream icing. If you try making cupcakes let me know how it turned out =)


 Lemon Yogurt Cake


Serves 10 - 12

1 Cup caster sugar
Rind of 2 lemons, finely grated
2 eggs
1/3 Cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 Cup fat free yogurt (I used lite Greek)
1 1/2 Cup self raising flour

1. Preheat oven to 190°C.

2. In a large bowl add lemon rind, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and oil and whisk together. Add the yogurt and lemon juice and whisk again.

3. Sift in the flour and mix until just combined.

4. Pour the mixture into a baking paper/greased 21 cm cake tin, ring cake tin, or loaf tin. 

5. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin. If desired, dust with icing sugar once cooled. 

I will add the nutritional information when I can be bothered calculating it. But it should be pretty good since there is no butter =)

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I make mine with simple yogurt but I bet the Greek one make sthe cake flufflier

    ReplyDelete