Sunday 8 December 2013

Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Candy Cane Frosting

I am starting to get pretty excited about Christmas now. Only a week and a half left before we head off on holiday too! In my Christmas excitement I came up with these Christmas themed cupcakes.

On a side note, I think my photography is starting to improve! I have been taking close note of the photography on other food blogs I follow. Think I might have to go back and re-photograph some of my earlier monstrosities.




Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Candy Cane Frosting


Makes 16

Cupcakes:

150 g butter, softened
1 Cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 1/2 Cups self-raising flour
1 Cup skim milk
1 Cup chocolate chips

Candy Cane Frosting:

5 Candy Canes
100 g butter, softened
1 1/2 Cups icing sugar
2 Tbsp skim milk
Optional: Hershey's kisses to top. 

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and grease a muffin pan.

2. Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after adding each egg.

3. Add the flour, milk and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips and stir them through.

4. Spoon the mixture into the the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed. 

5. Make the frosting by crushing the candy canes to a powder in a food processor. Add the butter, icing sugar, and milk and process until it is smooth. Once the cupcakes are cool pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.

I didn't have a piping bag so I just spread mine on with a knife, but it would look a lot more impressive if it was piped on!

No comments:

Post a Comment