I made these cupcakes back in February (Yes. It is mid-August) for our engagement party and they were an total hit! All 24 had disappeared before the end of the night.
The combination of the lovely melt in the mouth vanilla cupcake with the sweet strawberry flavored buttercream is sure to please any sweet lover.
These cupcakes are really simple to make, and just as simple to decorate. No fancy cake skills required on this one. They would make a lovely addition to a girls birthday party or baby shower.
Vanilla and Strawberry Cupcakes
225 g butter, at room temperature
2 Cups caster (superfine) sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 Cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Cup milk
150 g butter, at room temperature
2 Cups icing (confectioners) sugar
2 drops strawberry essence
1-2 Tbsp milk
1 drop pink food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line 2 x 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix until just incorporated.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes liners until each is about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when pressed gently. Cool cupcakes in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring the a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
5. Make the buttercream by beating the butter until pale and fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar and add the strawberry essence and milk until the mixture has a light consistency. Add the food colouring and mix well. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.