If you're looking for a big bowl of comforting deliciousness then this is for you.
This chili had everything I was looking for, it was creamy, spicy, and oh so comforting on a cold and wet night.
This chili keeps and reheats really well - I ate this three days in a row!
Chicken and Shrimp Jalapeño Chili
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
4-5 Jalapeño, finely diced and seeds removed to suit your tastes
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 red bell pepper, diced
600 g chicken thigh or breast, diced
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 400 g (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 Cups chicken stock (salt reduced)
1 400 g (14 oz) cannelloni beans, drained
200 g (7 oz) raw prawns/shrimp
1 50 g (2 oz) chorizo, sliced
250 g (9 oz) cream cheese (I used low fat)
salt and pepper to taste
grated cheese to serve
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan. Fry the onion, Jalapeño, garlic, and chorizo over a medium heat for about 3 minutes, until onion is cooked.
2. Add the chicken, cumin, chili, oregano, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Mix well and brown chicken on all sides.
3. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, bell pepper, and cannelloni beans, Bring to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes. When there is about 6 minutes cooking time left, add the shrimp.
4. Mix in the cream cheese and stir until it is completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Laddle into bowls and top with grated cheese.