With Christmas just around the corner (eek!) I have been getting into the full swing of holiday baking. For me that involves lots of chocolate and lots of peppermint.
This chocolate and peppermint slice is easy to make and is a great treat for yourself or for a nice homemade edible gift.
I took half of this into the lab for morning tea and it was a hit. It kept extremely well in the refrigerator too, I was still snacking on this a week after baking and it tasted just as fantastic.
Chocolate Peppermint Slice
Makes about 20 pieces
150 g (5.3 oz) Butter, softened
1 Cup sugar
1 1/2 Cup plain flour
1/2 Cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
250 g (9 oz) white chocolate, broken into chunks
2 tsp peppermint essence (or to taste)
1/4 Cup cream
100 g (3.5 oz) milk chocolate
1 Tbsp butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180C (350F) and line a baking pan with baking paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
3. Press evenly into the base of the tin and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool (in the pan).
4. While the base is in the oven, make the ganache by combining the cream and white chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Place in the microwave for about a minute. Take it out to stir every 20 seconds. Stop microwaving when it is a smooth consistency. Add the peppermint essence. Set aside to cool.
5. Once both the base and ganache have cooled, pour the ganache over the base and place in the refrigerator to set.
6. Once the ganache has set, melt the milk chocolate with the butter and spread a thin, even layer over the surface of the ganache. If desired, crush some candy cane and sprinkle over the top.
7. Allow everything to cool and set completely before cutting into squares.