Chocolate and Strawberry (well, any berry) is a match made in heaven, and this Chocolate and Strawberry Bread gives you a nice big slice of that heaven.
I love making loaves - both sweet and savory. They are so easy to put together and so versatile too. They keep well in an airtight container and make a great snack or breakfast on the go.
I have made this loaf a couple of times now. The first one was outside of strawberry season, and frozen strawberries are not readily available here so I use tinned strawberries. They worked really nicely and I would recommend them as an alternative if you are unable to get fresh or frozen berries.
Chocolate and Strawberry Loaf
Serves 12, makes 1 loaf
125 g (4.4 oz) butter, softened
3/4 Cup sugar
1 3/4 Cups self raising flour
1/4 Cup cocoa powder
1/2 Cup skim milk
1 Cup strawberries, chopped (a drained can works well too)
1/2 Cup chocolate chips (milk, white, dark, or a combination)
1/4 Cup icing sugar
1 Tbsp melted strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and grease or line a loaf tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift in the flour and cocoa, alternating with the milk. Mix in the strawberries and chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, Allow the cake to cool in the tin.
4. Once cool, make the glaze by mixing the jam into the icing sugar until you have a paste like consistency (a drop of pink or red food coloring makes a fun addition!). Drizzle over the loaf and allow to set.
5. If not serving all of the loaf at once, store in an airtight container.