This baked custard is infused with fresh orange and makes for a great year-round dessert.
This is a beautiful, light dessert - the custard has a lovely fresh orange taste, and topped with dark chocolate chunks you'll find delight in every bite!
Baked custards are very easy to make. There is a fair bit of time spent with infusing, baking, and chilling - so make sure you read the recipe right through before starting! However, the hands on parts of the recipe take next to no time at all.
This would be a great dessert to serve to guests as it is something a little different, it's absolutely delicious, and it can be made in advance.
This recipe would also make a great base to play around with and discover all sorts of combinations. Instead of using orange, maybe go with vanilla, or chocolate, or even lemon lime!
Orange Custard Cups
4 Oranges, zest and 1 Tbsp juice
75 g caster (superfine) sugar
500 mL skim milk
4 egg yolks
Orange zest and dark chocolate chunks to decorate
1. Combine the orange zest and sugar in a food processor until well blended.
2. Place milk and orange zest-sugar mixture in a saucepan over a medium heat and warm until just below boiling (until a bubble or two are beginning to form around the edges of the pot).
3. Turn off the heat, cover, and sit for one hour to infuse the orange flavor into the milk.
4. Heat the oven to 150C. In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolks. Strain into the orange infused milk, add the orange juice, and gently beat the mixture to combine.
5. Pour the mixture evenly between 6 ramekins. Place the ramekins into a roasting dish and half fill the dish with boiling water.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, until lightly set. Cool at room temperature and then chill until ready to eat.
7. Top with extra orange zest and dark chocolate before serving.