This slice combines vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate layers into a wonderfully simple bar.
These layered cookie bars are so super easy to make. Each layer takes only minutes of hands on time (with added time for baking and setting), and the combination of vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate is amazing.
What I loved most about these bars, apart from their being super tasty, is the combination of three different but wonderful textures - the crunch of the cookie, the soft fudgyness of the strawberry, and the crack of the chocolate. Perfection.
These bars hold up really well when stored properly. They make a great treat to add to lunch boxes or for after school.
Strawberry Chocolate Bars
Makes 12 bars or 18 squares
1 1/2 Cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 Cup brown sugar
100 g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
50 g butter
400 g tin condensed milk
3 tsp strawberry essence
1 drop pink food colouring
250 g dark chocolate, chopped
2 tsp canola or coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line the base of a square baking tin,
2. Combine all of the base ingredients in a bowl and press into the bottom of the tin. Bake for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. Make the filling by melting the butter with the condensed milk. Stir in the essence and food colouring. Stir over a medium heat for a couple of minutes until the mixture thickens. Spread over the base and refrigerate for 1 hour, or until set.
4. Melt the chocolate together with the oil and stir until smooth. Spread over the filling layer and return to the refrigerator until set.
5. Cut into bars and squares and store in an airtight container.