You never need a special reason to make a cheesecake, when you're craving something sweet and chocolate then give this a go!
This no bake chocolate cheesecake is super simple to make and the added layer of chocolate ganache makes it extra decadent and special.
It's strawberry season here in NZ (YAY!) so I also topped my cheesecake with chocolate dipped strawberries. This suited the cheesecake beautifully so if you are able to do something similar I would highly recommend that you do so!
Since the dominant flavor of this cheesecake is obviously chocolate, I would be sure to use a milk chocolate to avoid the cheesecake being too over powering and too rich. A combination of half milk and half dark would work well too. Just avoid full dark!
Don't forget that a properly covered and chilled cheesecake will last at least 3 days in the refrigerator so if you're bringing this to a dinner party then it can be made the day ahead or if you have just made it for a small family it will be dessert for a fair few days!
Double Chocolate Cheesecake
Serves approx 12
350 g chocolate chip cookies
100 g butter, melted
500 g cream cheese, softened
1/2 Cup sugar
125 g milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
1 Cup liquid cream
1 Cup chocolate chips
1/3 Cup cream
1. Process the cookies to a crumb in a food processor. Add the melted butter and process until well incorporated. Press into the base of a 23 cm (approx), greased springform cake tin. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
2. Mix the cream cheese and sugar, making sure there are no lumps.
3. Whip the cream and melt the chocolate. Fold both into the cream cheese mixture and spread over the chilled base.
4. Once the cheesecake has chilled, make the ganache by melting the chocolate together with the 1/3 cup cream. Mix until smooth and allow to cool slightly.
5. Pour the ganache over the top of the cheesecake and return to the refrigerator to chill the ganache until set.