Mint and Chocolate are, of course, a match made in Heaven. If you too love this combination then I strongly suggest you make these cookies!
These cookies have a lovely balance between the flavors of chocolate and peppermint - a hard balance to find!
These cookies are great for any occasion, from just a batch of cookies to keep in the cookie jar for the week, to an addition to your Christmas cookie platter.
These cookies highlight chocolate and mint in two ways; first, the cookie dough itself has both cocoa powder and peppermint essence. Second, nice big chunks of mint infused dark chocolate.
Mint Chocolate Cookies
Makes approximately 36 cookies
175 g butter, softened
3/4 Cup brown sugar
3/4 Cup caster sugar
2 tsp peppermint essence
2 Cup plain flour
1/4 Cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Cup mint chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Beat the butter together with the sugars until the mixture is pale and creamy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Mix in the peppermint essence.
4. Sift in the flour, cocoa, and baking powder and fold in the mint chocolate.
5. Roll the mixture into teaspoon sized balls. Place on the baking trays and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies have a nice brown on top.
6. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes on the tray and then cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container.
Note: if the cookie dough is a bit sticky, place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to make the mixture easier to roll.