Sunday 3 May 2015

Moroccan Lamb and Rice

These lamb meatballs are bursting with delicate Moroccan flavors, and pair wonderfully with this simple spiced rice. 



I love making meatballs for all sorts of dishes - pasta, rice, sandwiches - they are so easy to put together and you can add so much great, and different flavors.


You'll read in this recipe that the meatballs are baked, rather than fried. I prefer this method of cooking meatballs as it requires less oil, the meatballs hold their shape brilliantly, and you don't have to keep an eye on a fry pan! That being said - if you'd prefer to fry, then go ahead!


This dish works really well with a medium grain rice. We've also had it with long grain which is just as delicious, so just use what you have at hand.


The most time consuming part of this recipe is making the meatballs. Other than that, it's a very quick and easy meal - perfect for busy weeknights. 



Moroccan Spiced Lamb and Rice


Serves 4

Meatballs

500 g ground lamb
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp Moroccan seasoning
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 Cup breadcrumbs

Rice

1 1/2 Cups rice
3 Cups chicken stock
1/2 onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp Moroccan seasoning
1 red chili, finely diced

1. Preheat oven to 180C (350F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.

2. Make the meatballs by combining all meatball ingredients together in a large bowl, mixing well, and shaping into teaspoon size balls. Place on the baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through, turning occasionally.

3. Make the rice by heating a saucepan over a medium heat, fry the onion, pepper, seasoning, and chili for a few minutes, until onion in soft. Add the rice and the stock, cover, bring to a simmer and cook until all stock is absorbed (about 15 minutes).

4. Serve the meatballs over the rice.

22 comments:

  1. I love Moroccan spices, what a delicious dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous Moroccan dish Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks great Nicole, love lamb in the spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous. We love lamb and would loved these meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so hearty and delicious. A great comfort meal

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Moroccan cuisine and always find it is so fresh and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all love meatballs in this family and I love Moroccan kitchen! This is a very aromatic dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like meatballs but don't make them enough. I like our version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous recipe - and I like that you've baked the meatballs. Perfect midweek meal idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of meal - looks so deliciously satisfying! I bet the meatballs are so tasty! Pinned, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had Moroccan meat balls on my mind lately! This recipe looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the flavor combination and the fact that your meatballs are baked, not fried :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks wonderful. I have never tried anything like this so I am definitely intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great flavor combination you have here. These sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks so delicious and full of flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not really familiar w/ Moroccan flavors but I'm intrigued and these meatballs look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful and hearty meal. I love the exotic flavors...I know I would love this! xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder if we have a Moroccan spice blend available in our store. Looks delicious Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE Moroccan foods Nic and this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this would be a true hit at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious, NIcole! I like baking meatballs too, it always seems easier to me. Love the spices you have used. Thank you for sharing this tasty dish with us at the Hearth and Soul hop. Pinning and will tweet :-)

    ReplyDelete