Tuesday 29 April 2014

Ham and Cheese Quiche

Quiche is an easy weeknight meal that can be thrown together in no time and using whatever you have laying around in your fridge. The leftovers keep well and can be eaten hot or cold. But my favorite thing about this recipe? It makes a perfect breakfast, lunch, OR dinner!


I originally posted this recipe back in April, but I remade it (yet again...) over the weekend for some much needed photography updates. It's looking a million times better now! 


Ham and Cheese Quiche


Serves 4-6

Short Crust Pastry (store brought is also fine!), blind baked and cooled
4 Eggs
1 Cup trim milk
1/2 Cup cream
1/2 Cup self raising flour
200 g (7 oz) ham (or bacon), chopped
1 Onion, finely diced
1 Cup grated cheese (I used Edam)
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a quiche pan. Roll out the pastry and line the base and sides of the pan with the pastry.

2. Heat a dash of oil in a fry pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the onion and ham until the bacon is cooked to your liking.

3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, and flour.  Add the ham, onion, and cheese. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to suit your tastes.

4. Pour the mixture over the prepared base and bake for 45 minutes.

12 comments:

  1. Bacon and cheese, a classic quiche lorraine and also my favorite. Very nice Nicole :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Questions, do you cook the crust before putting the egg mixture in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did't in this case as I was hungry and wanted to eat! But you can blind bake first if you want to :) I would usually do it. And I think if you use the link to the pastry recipe I have the blind baking step in there.

      Delete
  4. I have never had a quiche! Does that make me a bad foodie?! Lol... I have been wanting to try one, and needed to find the perfect recipe to make sure my husband would like it. I think this is it! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't think that makes you a bad foodie at all :) There are lots of things that I have never had too. They are really simple to make and taste lovely, I'm sure both you and your husband will enjoy it! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. Awesome Quiché combo! Love the idea if adding ham!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quiche is such a great lunchy dish. Thanks for your variation! Ham and Cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! I would totally do the ham AND bacon! HAHA! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this ham and cheese quiche for hosting a brunch. Your crust so beautifully done, mine always look mish-moshed even when I buy them pre-made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful quiche, Nicole! I like that you used Edam cheese as well. I've not tried that before but I can just imagine how delicious it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. G'day Your quiche reminds me so much of childhood yum!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete