Mexican Tortilla Stack
Serves 4 - 6
500 g Beef mince
1 Onion, finely diced
1 red chilli, finely chopped (de-seeded if you like it more mild)
400 g can of chopped tomatoes
400 g can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper
4 flour tortillas (I used high fiber wholemeal)
1/2 Cup grated cheese (I used Edam)
Light sour cream
Spring (green) onion, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a dash of oil in a large frying pan. Add the minced beef, onion, and chilli and fry until meat is browned and onion is transparent.
2. Add the tomatoes and kidney beans, bring to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer until the mixture thickens (about ten minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place a tortilla into the base of a 20 cm spring-form can tin. Top with one third of the beef mixture. Place another tortilla in the tin, followed by the next third of the beef mixture, then another tortilla, then the last of the beef, and finally another tortilla.
4. Spread cheese over top of the top tortilla and place in the oven. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden.
5. Serve topped with light sour cream and chopped spring onion.